The statute that recognized the creation of Warrick County was enacted by the Indiana Territorial Legislation and became effective on April 1, 1813, a full decade after John Sprinkle became the first white settler in the area when he landed at Newburgh in 1803. Warrick County was carved out of the original Knox County, and was named after a close friend of General William H. Harrison, Capt. Jacob Warrick, who died during the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811.
In commemoration of the Bicentennial of Warrick County, a group representatives from the Newburgh Museum Foundation, Historic Newburgh, Inc. and the Warrick County Museum have formed a Steering Committee and plans are now underway for festivities throughout 2013 to celebrate the founding of Warrick County.
A public planning meeting will be held on Sunday, February 10, at 2:00 pm at the Ohio Central Library in Newburgh (south of the intersection of Lloyd Expressway and Bell Road).