Tire strikes van on I-65; seven Warrick County residents hurt | News
Several Warrick County residents riding in a van on I-65 in Jackson County were hurt Saturday night when a large tire came across the median and struck their vehicle as they returned from a shopping trip.
Indiana State Police say it happened around 6:30 p.m. A 2008 Dodge Caravan driven by 61-year-old Becky Freimiller was southbound on I-65 near Seymour when the tire flew into the windshield, causing her to lose control of the van. It entered the median, struck the barrier cable then launched over the cable into the northbound lanes. A 2011 Freightliner semi tractor-trailer rig driven by 36-year-old Anthony Green of Woodruff, South Carolina then sideswiped the van.
Freimiller suffered from severe cuts and trauma to the face and a possible concussion. Six passengers in the van were hurt, some of them seriously.
Frances Wilkey, 64, was flown to University Hospital in Louisville. She was trapped in the van for nearly 30 minutes before emergency crews could extricate her. (Update: She was listed in satisfactory condition Tuesday morning). Jessica Evans, 19, suffered serious head trauma, Laura Wilkey, 43, had possible broken bones.
Donna Evans, 53, Tina Whitaker, 50, and 14-year-old Miranda Garrett suffered cuts and bruises.
Green wasn’t hurt.
Troopers and sheriff’s deputies searched the area for the vehicle which lost the tire. They believe it came from a trailer of a large vehicle but the accident remains under investigation. Anyone with information regarding that vehicle should contact the Indiana State Police, Versailles District at 812-689-5000.
Top Warrick County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Busy east side Evansville road getting sign change
- Meth suspect found hiding in trash can in someone's garage
- Hungry? You'll be able to eat at a new East Side deli soon
- Evansville man accused of having several hundred images of child pornography
- Teachers combine for book to help kids be environmentally conscious
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois